The Kababayan L.A. Appearance – The Inside Commentary
Kababayan L.A. host, Janelle So
Greetings PinoyLifers. A few weeks ago, I was asked to appear on a show called Kababayan L.A. by its host, the lovely Janelle So. She wanted to do a segment on blogging and asked me to be on the show after seeing some of the fun things I put on this site.
The show aired on September 25, 2008 but there is a bit of backstory to some of the antics I pulled during the appearance.
I wanted to see if there was a way to make my appearance on a local t.v. show a lot dumber than it needed to be. I first came up with the following drinking game rules that were posted on this site prior to taping of the show:
Take a sip or a shot if…
- Janelle asks Moonie why he doesn’t speak Tagalog
- Moonie accidentally drops an F or S bomb
- Janelle cuts off either Moonie or Jeremiah
- Janelle asks Moonie what Blogging is
- Moonie makes a pop culture reference
- Moonie gives someone a shout out (double shot if that shout out is for you)
- Pinoyfest is mentioned
- M7 Magazine or its staff is mentioned
- Moonie starts talking smack about something or someone
- Moonie works in the words “Lawn Care” in the interview
- Moonie asks Janelle an odd question
- Moonie mugs for the camera
Next, I asked readers to post requests of what they want to see me do during the interview. Here were some of the requests:
From richard move – “moonie: you MUST work a move where you point dead at the camera and declare that you are NOT a “flip”.”
From tetro – “Ultimate win if you can work in the phrase “menstrual cycle”.”
From Farmer John – “Scratch your balls”
Thanks for those suggestions guys. And now, here’s the first segment
Items to note
- At 00:49 I grab my balls because Farmer John asked me to
- At 01:35 I’m about to crack up ’cause I just grabbed my balls clean on camera
- At 02:16 I say the words “Lawn Care.” Take a shot (Drinking game rule #10)
- At 02:21 I say the words “Menstrual Cycle”. That was for you tetro. And I got the ultimate win and pride to boot!
- At 4:29 they actually show PinoyLife on the screen with the drinking game rules!
The second segment. They should have called this Moonie mugs for the camera like a mofo.
Items to Note
- At 00:18 I mug for the camera. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
- At 00:35 I mug for the camera. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
- At 00:45 Janelle brings up the fact Moonie can’t speak Tagalog – totally called it!. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #1)
- At 00:56 I mug for the camera. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
- At 02:45 I talk smack about Nora Aunor. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #9)
- At 04:01 Big time mug for the camera and I point to camera. Sorry richard, it was the closest thing I could do for your request. Anyway, take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
- At 05:44 A veiled Pinoyfest and M7 Magazine reference.
- At 06:10 Janelle almost tries to cut me off. Take half a shot (Drinking game rule #3)
- At 06:17 Rocker horns and I mug for the camera. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
- At 06:19 I mug for the camera. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
- At 06:30 A thumbs up and mug for the camera to end the segment. Take a shot (Drinking game rule #12)
I really want to thank Janelle So for inviting me on the show and plugging PinoyLife.com. Thanks also to Jeremiah from that other site that he didn’t want to have mentioned and Albert in the Kababayan L.A. control booth. I had a blast and I hope you enjoyed the interview and all the extra shenanigans I tried to pull off for your entertainment.
Check out Janelle So’s Blog when you can and say hello and mess with the people that post on her comments secion.
If you’re really bored, you can go to the KSCI website and leave a note for the show’s management. Tell them you want to see more Filipino American stuff and stop booking non-Pinoy acts on Kababayan L.A. I swear, the station manager actually booked a dude that was half Korean and half Latino to play his music on Kababayan L.A. All this because the manager saw this guy playing on Venice Beach and thought he was good. In an effort to figure out a reason as to why he was playing on a show geared to Filipinos, the station manager came up with the excuse that the performer’s grandfather was a fan of the show.
Hang on… (sniff… sniff…) You guys smell something? (sniff… sniff…) Smells like BULLSHIT!